Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sigma 30mm f/1.4




Well this is it, after weeks in Japan getting recalibrated, my hope-to-be miracle lens is back. The focus on my Canon 350D / XT is still a disaster but I think now it has to do more with the camera than with the lens because some pictures are now somewhat on the spot. I might go test the lens in a shop with a Canon 30D to be sure. The people here are my colleagues.

UPDATE: I tested the lens in a shop with a 30D and got possibly better results but focus was still off quite often. So I decided to test a Canon 50mm f/1.8 on a Canon 5D and I couldn't get the focus to be dead on the eyes either. Then I tried a 24-70 f/2.8 L and that was spot on. It's f/2.8 not 1.4 or 1.8, but at the long end of the zoom that's still a pretty narrow depth of field. It focussed absolutely flawlessly and at blinding speed.

Unfortunately the results still lacked the gorgeous bokeh of my Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 (50mm equiv.) so I just gave up on getting a new super duper digital camera.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the 150mm has been showing the same issues with the focus being slightly behind or ahead of where I thought it would be.

Some of that is the tiny viewfinder on the D70s which just doesn't give me enough acuity to tell exactly where the focus is, even at f/2.8.

Some of that is the AF is not all it could be. I've never tried a pro lens like a 70-200mm f/2.8 so I can't compare, but all my lenses show this to a certain extent, it just shows less on the shorter focal lengths.

I think you just can't reach the same sharpness on this type of gear that you can on a medium format film camera, period.

12:00 AM  
Blogger nelson said...

fuck!
hadn't been on your blog in a while.
nice pics dude


thought this might interest you
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/renaissance/trailer1/

hope all is well.

P.S. impressive kit!

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Steroids Blog said...

I was given a 30d and the focus was a joke, took it to Canon bkk and was told it was working fine, I've used Nikon stuff ever since.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home